Electrical power generation located at or near the point of it’s consumption, commonly referred to as Distributed Generation,
has seen tremendous growth recently due to factors such as limited utility grid generation and transmission capacity combined
with the onset of utility deregulation. Strong economic incentives now exist for many users to consider on-site self
generation for both power reliability and energy cost reduction solutions. Additionally, these opportunities have spurred the
development of new and unique types of generating and switching technologies.
The Closed Transition Soft Load Automatic Transfer and Peak Shaving Switches are just such a technology. Closed transition
soft load transfer switches are an ideal solution for power availability, energy management, and generator-set
testing applications. Unlike traditional open transition switches that provide a break-before-make operation, or passive
closed transition switches which do not control the generator set, the closed transition soft load switch allows two power
sources, usually the utility and a generator set, to be paralleled indefinitely. This permits the load, inductive or
resistive, to be gradually and seamlessly transferred from one source to another. All of this is accomplished through the
make-before-break operation of the switch with no power interruption to the load.
Special Transfer Switches
Closed Transition Soft Load Transfer Switches
Closed transition soft load transfer switches with active generator control allow the load to be gradually and seamlessly
transferred from one source to the other. Closed transition soft load transfer switches are an ideal solution for power
availability, energy management, and generator set exercising applications.
Closed Transition Soft Load Transfer
The CT series closed transition Soft Load transfer switch with active generator control is the ideal solution for applications
requiring seamless transfers, critical power availability, energy management and generator set testing. Active control is the
fastest and most reliable method of power source synchronization.
Features, Benefits and Functions
- Insulated case switching devices designed specifically for UL 1008.
- Drawout mounted SPB insulated case switches.
- High withstand, interrupting and closing ratings.
- "Seamless" transfer between power sources.
- Fastest switching time available (under 5 cycles).
- Mechanical and electrical interlocks.
Standards and Certifications
- Ratings available from 800 - 4000 amps.
- Available up to 600Vac.
- 2, 3, or 4 pole.
- Enclosures - NEMA 1 and 3R.
- Optionally Rated as Suitable for Service Entrance Equipment - no additional disconnect required.
- Meets or exceeds all applicable standards.
- CSA Spec 178, UL 1008, UL 489, CSA, UBC and BOCA Seismic Zone 4, NFPA 110 and 99 (with certain options), EGSA 100S, NEMA
ICS10, NEC Articles 517, 700, 701 and 702, ISO 9001, ISO 9002.